Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Bauhaus in 21st Century KL

Hurray! After a long wait, my little Centrio unit is finally ready. Hope to get the keys this week and pop down to Interiorscape to get some suggestions on wardrobe and kitchen designs.

Just as well that I recently found inspiration in the Bauhaus buildings in Germany. The Bauhaus movement was started in the 20th Century interwar period by the architect Walter Gropius who was inspired by the reform vibe of the times to merge an art academy and school of arts and craft to create a movement that teaches form and functionality in design. In a purist sense, although there are iconic Bauhaus buildings in Germany, the movement does not refer so much to a particular style than it does to a philosophy of functionality. Thus, one can stay quite true to the Bauhaus spirit so long that one designs for utility and comfort. At least, that is how I understand it.

But then, I am not much of a philosopher and the classic Bauhaus designs are what caught my attention. If you want to know what I mean, check out the photos below. The first two photos are of Bauhaus Masterhouses in Dessau built in the 1920s. The third photo is of my apartment block circa 2010. No need to guess where the architects got their inspiration.

1920s Bauhaus Masterhouses:



2010 Centrio:

1 comment:

  1. Hello neighbour! Can feel your excitement :-)! I just got my keys today. Do a careful inspection of the finishing though. I spotted some rectification needed to be done by YTL..
    Cheers, Michelles

    ReplyDelete