Friday, December 18, 2009

A Deal, I Say

Super pleased today because I finally bought a fabulous lamp that I have been eyeing for 3 years - yes, you didn't read that wrong - THREE years! The first time I saw it, I couldn't afford it. When I managed to save up, they stopped making yellow shades. Not only do I own one now but I also got it on a 60% discount which I skillfully negotiated up from just 20%. Thanks Rokman!

I managed to snap a couple of photos with my phone. The slim base is made of stacked wood pieces and the lamp shade is starfruit-shaped and made of gorgeous yellow Thai silk. The shop is Ombak at KLCC, absolutely the best soft furnishings store in the city.



Here is another tip: NEVER wait till your flat/house is ready before rushing to buy furnishings. Start looking at least 3 months ahead and take lots of photos. This way, you leave yourself with enough time to think properly about whether things fit. Then go back during sale periods and bargain like mad. Most stores will agree to keep purchased items for between 3-6 months.

2 comments:

  1. hey! you gotta share bargaining tips. and how much did you pay for it? i'm surprised how well you manage to delay gratification, i would never be able to do it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. RM500 down from RM1240. But you win some and lose some. Once I saw a great lamp in Chatuchak but didn't buy it because my place wasn't ready. Never saw it again.

    The trick to getting additional discount is to look for a flaw and keep stressing that you will take it NOW if they would lower the price some more (works better when it is the last piece). also helps if you look sad that it is so beautiful but can't afford to have it without the discount...

    ReplyDelete