Friday, January 1, 2010

Before and After, Part I - Living Room

Sorry, people. A bit of lapse since my last posting cause I have a job now and have to limit my magazine browsing to lunch hours and bedtime reading. But thanks to this New Year holiday, I finally found the time to put together some 'before and after' photos of my old apartment. Happy looking and Happy New Year.

Before:
These photos were taken when the real estate agent arranged the first viewing. Every room was ghastly white. There was a dirty-looking Indian lamp shade in the direct line of sight as you enter through the front door and just above the dining area, there was a cheap tube shade.





After: Still a WIP but...









The biggest challenge in decorating this room was to find a colour that worked i.e. not make the room too dark or is too difficult to match with other furniture pieces. I was inspired to go with this bright peacock blue after seeing how Vietnam Airlines used it in their logo in combination with gold. So, I too made gold silk cushions and laid the bright olive-based sarong on the back of the sofa.

The marble floor was polished to restore shine. I had the curtain rods were lowered and painted black. Then I put in voile curtains to reduce glare while leaving the room light and airy.

Ceiling lamps and the old ticking fan were also replaced. I put in ball lamps made of some kind of high-end plastic instead of paper lamps so that the lamps would not billow about when the fan is on.

To break the monotony of the walls, I put up framed posters and paintings. I also used a lot of textiles I collected from my travels as drapery. For instance, on the back of the couch is a Sumatran sarong. The black/white/red cloth on the dining table is a Shan longyi. Instead of boring curtain ties, I pulled back the see-through voile layers with a red/black tribal belt that I found in the Philippines. The dining area lamp shade is made of brilliant Vietnamese silk and in the living area, I laid out my precious Persian rug.

2 comments:

  1. love the peacock blue mun ching! our new house master bedroom is also in a blue for the feature wall but moreso duck egg blue... can't wait to see you soon if you are coming this way! xxx Audz

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your balcony and the color scheme of furnitures in your living room

    ReplyDelete