Tuesday, March 16, 2010

A Question of Cupboards

I used to tell myself that given a choice, I would not install any built-in wardrobes. I hated them because the room I had in my parent's house was already on the smallish side and the built-in they installed took up a huge chunk of space. But years later when I bought my own place, I did the once unthinkable. After years of living in cramped rooms, I decided to compromise for the extra space to store my clothes, bags, shoes and textiles.

Now, as I look to moving again, the inevitable question has resurfaced. How do I get storage space without cramping the style I want to achieve? I'm running a poll for feedback. Here are the options:

1) Floor-to-ceiling built-ins. I was persuaded by Amazon.co.uk to buy this wonderful book, A Girl's Guide to Decorating by British designer Abigail Ahern. The designer recommends this simple design for closet doors. I quite like it.
  

2) Antique Chinese cupboards. I am definitely not interested in anything too 'ethnic' so I am qualifying this by putting up a photo of the exact design. I found this A-shaped giant Chinese cupboard at the Jalan 222 treasure trove, Danasti. According to Ho Lee who runs the warehouse, this piece was refashioned from recycled elm wood by Chinese craftmen. Check out the gorgeous brass hinges and door lock.


3) Pick-and-mix flea market finds. In one of my earlier postings, I wrote about finding a sweet little cupboard in a Malacca junk store. Instead of getting new ones, it may be an idea to try to rescue as many pieces as possible. It would be cheap but I may have to sacrifice space and design integrity.


And now...vote!

No comments:

Post a Comment