Friday, March 26, 2010

What's Ethnic about Ethnic

I get an inward shudder whenever I hear people describe their interiors theme as being "ethnic". It conjures up images of multiple Sarawak vases and swathes of pua kumbus or dangly Indian ornaments like the ones here.

 

It's all fine and well if you are a student living in a small dorm room in a grey and cold city somewhere but it is really taking things too far when it actually becomes a interiors theme.

Some people do it not as a matter of taste but one of helping out minority communities which I don't disagree with but there are always ways to support the crafts without going overboard on the ethnic or the tribal.

Over the years, I found some of the best 'modern' pieces in the most unlikely places. My latest discovery is this black clay vase and dishes from a crafts market in New Delhi. This small collection was brought over from a village in India's Mizoram state which borders Burma. 


Got lots more examples but will have to wait till I unpack my boxes again.

No comments:

Post a Comment