Saturday, March 20, 2010

The White Exception

I know I started this blog with a rallying cry against white rooms but I must admit that when done right, white rooms can be very charming.

The place I have in mind is a boutique hotel in Galle called The Sun House. I recently holidayed here for 5 days and fell in love with the place, including its white theme. There were a couple of elements that made the place so wonderfully cosy. The first was the use of dark hardwood furniture and brass antiques.


I was completely charmed by my Aliya room which was furnished with a four poster bed, a hardwood desk and cupboard, a colonial sofa and day bed. This room opened through double wooden doors to a bright shower, illuminated by a skylight and air vents.


I also managed to sneak a peek at the Dumas Suite while the house boys were cleaning one morning and saw this pretty study.


But for cosiness, nothing topped the evening atmosphere that was a quaint combination of colonial sluggishness and British eccentricity. The English owner, Geoffrey, ran Dick's Bar, Galle's favourite spot for sundowners. His deputy and countrywoman, Henri Tatham, flitted among guests dressed everyday in a different pink printed moomoo and pink feathered fascinator. Here are some decor pieces that really remind me of them.


Definitely the most memorable hotel that I've stayed in. 

1 comment:

  1. just made a note to self to book this hotel when i make it to sri lanka!

    ReplyDelete