Sunday, January 3, 2010

Home Improvement, Part II - Master Bedroom

Before:
It was hard to capture many good shots of my bedroom but the point I want to make is that even simple changes can improve a room. I will limit my comments to the basics since I still did not find a bed I liked after living here for more than a year.








After:





 

This room is quite dark because of the smallish window so I left most of the room white but painted two walls in emerald green. The green is highlighted by a pair Macanese medicine cabinets which I used to keep jewellery and trinkets.

To brighten the room, I stripped the dark polish off the parquet and varnished it with a layer of natural matt finish instead.

The main window was restored by replacing the rotting wooden frame but to save cost, I reused the original panes. Heavy wooden blinds were also removed and replaced with a simple bamboo curtain frame that I brought back from Hanoi. The 'curtain' is actually a white sarong printed with blue floral outlines that I found in Pekan Rabu in Alor Setar. Curtain tie is the same Filipino tribal belt as used in the living room.

Finally, I placed a full-length mirror on the wall opposite the window so as to reflect light to darker areas of the room.

No comments:

Post a Comment