Wednesday, January 6, 2010

No Place Like Home, Part III - Master Bathroom

Before:
I hated this room the most when I first got the apartment. You get an idea from the photo below. The sink was built into a massive hanging concrete top tiled with marble. The toilet was grey, had a large tank and disgusting whitish, brownish stains. Ditto the bathtub. The mirror was stingy and small. There was also a wide towel rack on the wall facing the toilet which jutted at least a foot into the already narrow space. The wall tiles were crappy, as were the cheap grey tiles on the floor.


After: I ripped out everything to build a brand new bathroom.

 

I installed a hidden water heater so that I didn't have to worry that the heater tank would collapse on my head while using the loo. The bathroom is tiled up to the ceiling with white Italian mosaic from a speciality mosaic shop on Jalan Ipoh. The floor is laid with black volcanic slate that cost next to nothing but were wonderfully natural.

The bathtub area was converted into a shower with tempered glass wall and door. I also installed a cabinet under the sink to keep toiletries and things like toilet paper and washing liquids out of sight.

Almost all my metal fittings were by Japanese brand Toto. I love their design and quality. Toto is rather expensive in KL so I smuggled mine back from Jakarta (Toto has factories in Indonesia). The sink is from Orin, a brand distributed by Niro Granite.

The toilet is a simple Johnson Suisse model which I got from Hanlim. If you haven't heard of Hanlim, it is THE PLACE to go to get the best bathroom fitting deals. It's off Jalan 222 in PJ.

No comments:

Post a Comment